Martyrs’ Square

Factsheet

Landscape ArchitectNoukakis & Partners (Greece), competition winners 2005
Area11,741 sq m
FloraNone
Public ArtRenato Marino Mazzacurati (Italy)

The central and largest square in Beirut and its city center was built by the Ottomans in the 19th century. Its initial name Place des Canons referred to the Russian artillery placed there in the 18th century; the name was taken up again by the French in 1860. The square was renamed in memory of the Lebanese

nationalists who were executed by the Turks during WW1. Martyrs’ Square was completely destroyed during the Lebanese civil war. In the early 1990s, its reconstruction began and the sculpture by Renato Marino Mazzacurati (Italy) was restored. Design of the square, as part of the 2005 Martyrs’ Square Axis international design competition, is under review in relation to revised master planning of adjacent buildings and roads.